This part of my roundup of 2013 posts includes categories that involve photos or me going somewhere (and in many cases both).
I don’t think we go to as many gigs as we used to – this feels like a short list of “big” concerts or events. Having said that, I think there’s a couple we went to that I haven’t written up – I’m sure we went to some Furry Live events early last year and those are not on the list. Picking a favourite is difficult – the Marillion Weekends are always special for instance and a social event for us too (7 of us in the group who went this year!). But I think that for me the Stone Roses gig has to win out – despite the unpleasantness of big-outdoor-gig crowds – although not a one-off this is only the second time we’ve seen them play and there’s no saying there’ll be another chance. That gig wins out over the Roger Waters one for me, because heathen that I am I’ve never really been that into Pink Floyd – so seeing The Wall live was a cool show but not a special event.
- Fish at the Junction, Cambridge 16/9/2013.
- Marillion Weekend 2013.
- Marillion playing at the Waterside Theatre, Aylesbury, 9/11/2013.
- Roger Waters playing The Wall live at Wembley, 14/9/13.
- Steven Wilson at the Festival Hall, 4/3/2013.
- Steven Wilson at the Royal Albert Hall, 20/10/2013.
- The Stone Roses, Finsbury Park 7/6/2013.
It’s been a good year for visits to museums and exhibitions! There’s even a few I’ve not written about (yet?) – including the Pergamon Museum in Berlin and the London Museum. And a couple in Turin too. It’s processing photos that holds up these posts, and that’s something I need to work on getting better at just sitting down and doing. It’s hard to pick a favourite, but I think the Ice Age Art one might be it – the stuff we saw there was so very old, yet still evocative as art.
- Beyond El Dorado. Exhibition of pre-Hispanic Colombian gold artifacts at the British Museum.
- Ice Age Art: Arrival of the Modern Mind. Exhibition of European Ice Age artifacts at the British Museum.
- Im Licht von Amarna. Exhibition about Amarna era Egypt at the Neues Museum, Berlin timed to coincide with 100 years since the discovery of the bust of Nefertiti.
- Life & Death in Pompeii & Herculaneum – British Museum exhibition about the Roman towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum.
- Neues Museum, Berlin.
- Thread of Silk and Gold. An exhibition of Meiji era Japanese textiles at the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford.
- Treasures of the Royal Courts: Tudors, Stuarts & the Russian Tsars. An exhibition at the V&A about the English & Russian courts centred round the silverware gifted by England to Russia.
- V&A Museum – a brief visit to some other galleries while I was there for the Treasures of the Royal Courts exhibition.
The photos of the week that I post are mostly self-consciously chosen to be a bit “arty” and I’ve gradually started to title them with something that isn’t straightforwardly what the subject of the photo is. I can’t really choose a favourite, this is one of the only things on my blog that is my work as opposed to me talking about other people’s work, so they’re all either my babies or horrid (or both) depending on my frame of mind. I will mention that both Gathering and Tattered hit the “Popular” list on 500px on the day they were posted. That means something to me because I don’t do any promotion of my photos on 500px, I just post them and see what happens – so a significant handful of random strangers chanced across those and liked them 🙂
- Ancient Ripples.
- And Did Those Feet ….
- Architectural Details – a series of photos taken in Cambridge.
- Brute Force & Ignorance.
- Camera Shy.
- Christmas Gargoyle.
- Colchester Zoo – a set from the zoo.
- Cool & Minty-Green.
- A Gap in the Clouds.
- Ivory Bracelets.
- Just Hanging About.
- Louvre, Day 2 – a batch of photos from our trip to Paris in 2011.
- Parent & Child.
- Past Glory.
- Peel Here.
- Porcelain Bottles.
- Replica Lion Man Statue – a replica of one of the objects in the Ice Age Art exhibition.
- Royal Power.
- Staring Into Eternity.
- Toothy Grin.
- Turned to Stone.
- Turin Street At Night.
- Waiting for the Sun.
- Weather Beaten.
- Wine Cups.
You’ll spot our Turin trip is missing from this list, the photos are part processed and I need to get on with it! I shan’t rank the two trips that are here, they’re different sorts of thing – one was a holiday and one a day out.